Electric hot water heaters are one of the best ways to get a steady flow of hot water through the tap in your home. Even though there are other forms of energy to heat up cold water, this is the most common style of hot water heater’s.
- How does an electric hot water heater work?
- Are electric hot water heaters safe?
- When do I need to check my unit?
- When do I need to service my electric hot water heater?
- What are the signs I’m due for a repair?
- How much does it cost to service and maintain an electric hot water heater?
- How much does it cost to replace an electric hot water heater
- Here are some brands of electric hot water heaters
- Type of electric hot water systems
- Sizes of electric hot water heaters
How Does A Electric Hot Water Heater work?
A great question, and to simplify it for you, electric hot water heaters store water in a cylinder which then heats up using two main heating components called an element and thermostat, similar to a kettle which is used to heat up water for your cups of tea and coffee. The concept is the same for these hot water heaters.
Are Electric Hot Water Heaters Safe?
In a nutshell, providing that they are well maintained and installed correctly, it’s so important to regularly service and checks to make sure your electric hot water heater is working correctly. If you are unsure what to check, call a plumber or read the manufactures owners manual. SA Water has some more safety info about this topic.
When Do I Need To Check My Unit?
DO IT NOW! There’s no better time to check to make sure your electric hot water heater is working the way it should. If you don’t know how to check your electric hot water heater, read the manufactures owner’s manual, if you have lost it, you can normally download these on the internet.
Here are some things you can check:
- Are there any signs of water leaking from the tank
- Is the structure of the unit look ok
- Can you see any burn marks
- Has the unit moved from the original location
- Are the pipe and connection leaking?
- Rusty or corroded fittings?
If you have observed any of the points listed above it’s best to contact a plumber to assist you.
When Do I Need To Service My Electric Hot Water Heater?
Periodic service and maintenance is usually recommended by most electric storage hot water heater manufacturers. There is usually an annual service and a major 5-year service along with minor six-month maintenance. Service and maintenance are best carried out by a qualified plumber, but some maintenance can be done by the homeowner as well.
6 months maintenance list of tasks:
- Open then close the pressure and temperature relief valve
- Open then close the expansion control valve if this is fitted
- It’s a good idea to go through and check your unit as well (follow the checklist above).
12-month annual service should involve the following:
- Check and flush the PTR valve (pressure and temperature valve)
- Check and flush the ECV (expansion control valve)
- Inspect the electric hot water heater for any problems
- Check the plumbing connections are not leaking and are secured properly
5-year major service includes:
- Replacement of the PTR valve and the ECV
- Inspect and flush the ECV and the PTR valve and replace them if required
- Check the hot water heater for any damage or faults
- Replace the anode if required
Even though some maintenance and service can be done by the homeowner, it’s recommended that some of these areas be performed by a qualified Adelaide plumber who is properly trained.
What Are They Signs I’m Due For A Repair?
- Brown water coming from hot taps
- Water went cold
- No water flowing through hot taps
- Water leaking from the tank
if you are experiencing any of these issues it’s best to contact your local Adelaide plumber and book in a time. Getting these types of issues fixed sooner than later is best to prevent any further damage to the hot water system and your property.
How Much Does it Cost To Service And Maintain an Electric Hot Water Heater?
This cost can vary as age and condition play a part in the costing process. For example, if an electric hot water heater is over 15 years old and hasn’t been serviced or maintained, chances are that the cost will increase compared to a hot water heater that has been regularly serviced and maintained. So best to keep up to date with these with a good maintenance schedule. Will’s Adelaide is happy to provide you with a quote to service your electric hot water heater.
How Much Does It Cost To Replace A Electric Hot Water Heater?
There are a number of different brands and models out there to select from, and with this comes different prices. The configuration and style of each unit may take longer to install than others. If you need a new electric hot water heater installed, speak to a qualified plumber who can help you choose the right heater to suit your needs and budget.
Here Are Some Brands Of Electric Hot Water Heaters:
- Vulcan and much more
Type Of Electric Hot Water Systems:
- Gravity feed
- Mains pressure
- solar and much more
Sizes Of Electric Hot Water Heaters:
- 25 liter
- 50 liter
- 80 liter
- 160 liter
- 250 liter and more
Want to find out more about electric hot water heaters? Look no further than Will’s Plumbing Adelaide. We are happy to provide the information you need to help with replacement, new installations, or service costs. You can call us any time on 0484600095.